21st March 2018
THE ARCHITECTURE AND SOCIAL LIFE OF YORK HOUSE, MALTON
As this By Dr Adrian Green
University of Durham
The Strickland family occupied York House from 1684 to 1735. The appearance of the house today dates from this time. Sir William Strickland married Elizabeth Palmes, an heiress of the wealthy Eures of Malton, in 1684. Sir William and Lady Elizabeth spent a good deal of time at York House, pursuing their passion for flat-racing at Malton races, using York House as a base for socialising among the county gentry, all the while pursuing Sir William’s political interest as MP for Malton. Their son, another Sir William, was also MP for Malton, and married Catherine Sambrooke from the Home Counties. Sir William remodelled York House after his father’s death in 1724 – adding the giant Palladian arch to the garden façade. Sir William also remodelled Boynton Hall, but the couple spent most of their time in a house on Grosvenor Square in London and in the Home Counties. Laetitia lived as a widow in London from 1735, and York House and the adjacent Strickland Hunting Lodge (now the Talbot Hotel), fell into different hands. This lecture looks at York House’s architecture, and the social life of the Stricklands, their family, friends and servants in Malton.
Venue – The Library, Malton School, Middlecave Road, Malton