A good congregation gathered for a service of Thanksgiving and Rededication at All Saints’ Church, Slingsby on Sunday evening, 2 September attended by the Bishop of Selby, the Rt. Revd. Martin Wallace. He preached and rededicated the tower and other areas of the building which are to be developed for wider community use.
A feature in the service was the symbolic presentation of an engraved silver trowel used to lay the foundation stone of the church when it was rebuilt in 1867. Mr. John Crump, of Matthias Garn Master Mason and Partner, representing the stonemasons, architect and other contractors, handed the trowel to the Bishop as a token of the skills employed in the restoration. Also on display was a Bible given to the church by its 19th century benefactor Admiral Edward Howard, containing a list of parishioners who contributed financially towards the £5,000 total for the rebuilding.
The cost of the recent work was £100,000, and it is an amazing achievement that the church and village community have raised nearly this amount in a relatively short time through grants, fund-raising events and generous giving. Fund-raising continues, and final donations are welcome, to cover extra costs incurred and provide for further improvements in the future. The Parochial Church Council would like to express their appreciation to all who have contributed in any way to the project, which was carried out to a very high standard and has resulted in the building being made safe and sound for future generations.
The Revd. Beryl Bowes, Rector of the Street Parishes.