Slingsby Community Primary School is situated on the village green with its maypole. The school was built in the 1860s under the patronage of the Earls of Carlisle and the Castle Howard Estate. The earlier Reading Room was also endowed by the Earls of Carlisle; a library for the education of the Parish generally, it contained about a hundred books in 1850, an impressive number for that time.
The present school, Reading Room and attached houses are still owned by the Castle Howard Estate, although the school accommodation was extended into the adjoining house in 1997 to accommodate a head teacher’s office and improved facilities. As at September 2016 the school has 64 children, aged 4 to 11, who are taught in three classes.
There are after – school clubs every school night from 3.30 to 4.30 pm, also a “Chill Club” from 3.30pm to 6pm to help working parents
Slingsby Community School contacts
Headteacher: Mrs Georgie Metcalfe
School Secretary: Mrs Magson
Tel: 01653 628370
Friends of Slingsby School (FoSS)
Rebecca Palmer-Bunting, Tel: 01653 628391
The Twitter address is www.twitter.com/slingsbypta
and for Facebook http://www.facebook.com/friendsofslingsbyschool
FoSS Upcoming Events
For further information please speak to any member of FoSS at school or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org