See below for Parish Plan; Village Design Statement; Conservation area; Local charities


The Slingsby, Fryton and South Holme Parish Plan (Action Plan) has been updated on the basis of the findings from a questionnaire completed by residents in 2015.

The Parish Plan team sent us this update of the Parish Plan (in April 2017). The new document builds on the original plan of 2010, and is largely based on the results of a detailed questionnaire completed by residents. It also incorporates more recent feedback and comments from village groups.

The principal part is a new Action Plan to take us to 2020. The new document is much more modest than the original Parish Plan of 2010 and we understand that for cost reasons there is no plan to print it.

The new document (in pdf form) can be read here: Parish Plan.

Background The Slingsby, Fryton and South Holme Parish Plan 2010 was produced by a steering group of residents with the support of the Parish Plans Development Officer for Rural Action Yorkshire. Based largely on the findings of questionnaires issued in 2009, the Parish Plan aims to set out the priorities for the parish for the next five years. One community aim was to develop a website and newsletter – you got it!

The Chair of the Parish Plan Group was Chris Wilson, deputy Fiona Farnell. The Parish Council accepted the Parish Plan and promised to support, as far they could, the action points within it.

The full 2010 Plan is available to download as a pdf document [5.5MB]. This will take time to download. Click HERE for the full Plan.


The Village Design Statement for Slingsby, South Holme and Fryton was adopted by Ryedale District Council as a Supplementary Planning Document on 1 September 2016.  It now forms part of the legal planning framework and will be used by the Council when determining planning applications.

The VDS is a document prepared by a small group of residents following local consultation and provides guidance for people wishing to alter or extend their properties and for developers wanting to build new houses here.  It is an attractive document with lots of photographs of buildings and design features.  It can be viewed on the Ryedale District Council website by following this link: Village Design Statement.

The list of documents found via this link also includes supporting documents, covering consultation, adoption and context.

Brief description of the VDS and why you should read it:

The Village Design Statement is divided into themes. It provides historical content, and the settlement’s evolution to present day. The document:

  • Considers the setting of the village in the countryside, including important views in and around the settlement;
  • Describes and defines the layout of the village- and areas of differing character;
  • Provides details of the houses which create the special character of the village;
  • Describes views, setting and features through maps and photos;
  • Discusses features such as materials, roofs, utility fixtures and fittings, windows, doors, outbuildings (barns and sheds), property boundaries and gates;
  • Identifies: Landscape features and important trees and wildlife and habitats; and
  • Most importantly, it provides guidelines for future development and property alterations.

In summary, it seeks to achieve the following:

  • Identify features which should be protected/preserved;
  • Identify changes which could be harmful to the village’s character; and
  • Help to guide new developments and alterations to existing buildings.

The aim is provide a locally-specific context to considering how new development and alterations can contribute to ensuring that Slingsby remains the attractive and valued village it is today, and that in Fryton and South Holme any new development is sensitive to its surroundings.

MORE on how the Local Plan affects Slingsby.

MORE background on the Village Design Statement


(Our thanks to John Clayton for providing these notes)

How is a conservation area designated?

Most conservation areas are designated by the Council as the local planning authority. English Heritage can designate conservation areas in London, where we have to consult the relevant London Borough Council and obtain the consent of the Secretary of State for National Heritage. The Secretary of State can also designate in exceptional circumstances – usually where the area is of more than local interest.

What does designation mean?

Conservation Areas are defined in the Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas Act) 1990 as ‘areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance’. Conservation Areas are therefore those areas considered to have the most important environmental quality in the District.

The character of Conservation Areas is as varied as our landscape. In some parts of the country they include, for example, terraces of workers’ cottages, inter-war housing developments, and formal urban squares. In Ryedale, however, the majority of Conservation Areas are small, rural settlements whose character is derived from the unique way in which the man-made elements (such as houses, cottages, walls, churches, farms and public buildings, etc) of each settlement relate to each other and the natural framework of landscape features (such as village greens, becks, ponds, trees, hedges and distinctive topographical features).

What living in a Conservation Area means for residents

Property Alterations:

If you live in or run a business from a property in a conservation area you may need permission from the Council before making alterations such as cladding, inserting windows, installing satellite dishes and solar panels, adding conservatories or other extensions, laying paving or building walls. As the Council can change the types of alterations that need permission by making Article 4 Directions it is advisable to contact the Council before making arrangements to starting any work..

An area designated as a Conservation Area requires planning applications to be made for certain types of development which are elsewhere classified as permitted development. These extra controls are designed to preserve or enhance the character of the area and the quality of design. The regulations are complicated, so it is advisable to consult the Planning Department before you undertake any new work. However, Planning Permission is likely to be required for the following works: cladding any part of the exterior; demolition of an unlisted building in a Conservation Area; alterations to the roof of a dwelling house which results in a material alteration to its shape, notably dormer windows; extensions of above 50 m3 (NB this figure is normally 70m3 outside a Conservation Area). Also within Conservation Areas

Extra publicity is given to planning applications affecting Conservation Areas, with a general view to preserving or enhancing the area.

The display of advertisements may be more restricted in a Conservation Areas.

Whilst there are works which can be done in a Conservation Area without consent, it is important to remember that the character of an area is often the result of many small details.

There are currently 46 Conservation Areas in Ryedale, of which 12 are in the National Park and four are part in the National Park and part in Ryedale. The most recent at Howsham was designated in March 2001.

Designated Conservation Areas in Ryedale

  Aislaby Allerston    Ampleforth
 Appleton-le-Moors Barton-le-Street Barton-le-Willows
 Bulmer Claxton Cold Kirby
 Coneysthorpe Flaxton Gillamoor
 Harome Hawnby Helmsley
 Howsham Hovingham Hutton-le-Hole
 Kirkbymoorside Langton Lastingham
 Levisham Lockton Malton (Old Town)
 Malton (Town Centre) Marton Middleton
 Norton-on-Derwent Nunnington Old Byland
 Oswaldkirk Pickering (Keld Head) Pickeirng (Town Centre)
 Rievaulx Rosedale Abbey Sand Hutton
 Settrington Sheriff Hutton Sinnington
 Slingsby Terrington Thornton Dale
 Welburn WestowWintringham

Demolition or substantial demolition of a building within a conservation area will usually require permission from the Council.


If you are thinking of cutting down a tree or doing any pruning work you must notify the Council 6 weeks in advance if the tree has a trunk diameter of 75mm or greater measured at 1.5m from ground level. This is to give the Council time to assess the contribution the tree makes to the character of the conservation area and decide whether to make a Tree Preservation Order. A link to the appropriate form is attached below,

For other planning forms visit the Ryedale District council website at:


In addition to the Slingsby Poors’ Land Charity, which is overseen by the Parish Council, there are also three other charities in Slingsby, which are not the responsibility of the Parish Council. Their financial records are on the Charity Commission web site.

NumberName of charity