The Village Hall lies to the east of All Saints Church.
It is built on land donated by Lady Aurea Macleod and her brother Geoffrey Howard in 1931 as their contribution to the local fund being raised for it. Building commenced in October of that year by Frank Lumley, the village builder, with joinery work being carried out by Cecil Stanley. The work cost £1,112 with about £700 being raised from fetes and other activities with the remainder coming from a grant from the Carnegie United Kingdom Trust. A Charitable trust was set up in 1936 to administer the hall.
The cost of running and repairing the Village Hall is funded from hire charges and from various activities organized by the Village Hall Committee. Improvement works are paid from Hall funds supplemented by various grants that are available from the local authority and other organizations. In recent years these improvements have included a new roof, central heating, disabled toilet, disabled access, new curtains, re-rendering of external brickwork and new guttering. The kitchen was completely renewed in the Spring of 2011.
The year 2011 saw the 80th anniversary of the Village Hall’s opening. This was marked with a number of events, most notably an evening of folk music and entertainment.
VILLAGE HALL HIRE RATES
- Main hall – £8 per hour
- Committee room – £4 per hour
- Kitchen – £6 per session
- £2 extra per session for use of the cooker.
For bookings please contact Trudy Carr on 01653 628302.
See also Clubs and Societies for contact information.